Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Last post of 2008

Here I am this New Year Eve, looking back at all the books I read this year (about 245 given or taken a couple) and thinking: Could I read more?! There should be a way! And yes, I have to expand my horizon and look at other genres, not just SiFi, Fantasy, Paranormal, (A little) Romance and Historic novels. I know there has been lots of book that go simply under Fiction title and a lot more that are basically Mysteries. Well it is very hard to characterize some books, for example: A witch heroine solving the murder case of her best friend which happens to be bionic woman! Is it a mystery, a SiFi, a Fantasy or whatnot?
Anyway here are my last books read in 2008:
Fish Out of Water” (Fred the Mermaid, Book 3) by MaryJanice Davidson: Fred is engaged to Prince Artur and renting a huge beach house and every one is dropping by to enjoy her extra bedrooms including her supposedly dead banished biological father.
Thank goodness, this series is finished! I was so tiered of Fred’s grumpiness and bad language!
The King's Favorite: A Novel of Nell Gwyn and King Charles II” by Susan Holloway Scott was a great book. Although it is named a novel, I read it more as a biography of Nell and I came to love her character. She is the kindest, most considerate and less ambitious mistresses of Charles II. The 1660’s were beautifully pictured and the writing was great. It is a true Cinderella story and for that truly enchanting.
Casting Spells” by Barbara Bretton was funny. A descendant of a great witch and mayor of Sugar Maple, Vermont; Chloe Hubbs is under pressure to marry and extend the protective spell her great great grandmother cast over the city to protect its supernatural residents. Imagine the whole town playing matchmaker! Oh, and Chloe is half human and doesn’t have any magic of her own. Enter one sexy detective and…Well, Welcome to Sugar Maple!

Happy New Year and more reading to you!

2 comments:

Marg said...

I have Fred's last book on request from the library. I don't actually know why because I didn't particularly enjoy the last one!

Aradia said...

Same here! The story and characters are cheesy but you keep reading! I guess I finished the series out of curiosity alone, just to see if it will get any better! Nope, it only got worse!