Friday, January 4, 2008

Books and Nutella

Why everybody think they can write murder mystery and detective novels? Why do we have all these librarians and designers and teachers and … running around trying to find killers and solve crime cases? I blame that wretched spoiled little girl Nancy Drew!
Anyhow, I had the misfortune of reading “Ghost of a chance” and “Legend of the Jade Dragon” by Yasmine Galenorn. These are the stories of Emerald O’Brian a tearoom and china shop owner in a small town who is the town’s witch and self-appointed detective. In the first book she exorcises a demon and finds a killer, in the second one she is trying to get rid of a cursed jade statue. The stories bored me out of my skull with repeating and discussing every tiny unimportant detail.
Then I finally (finally!) finished “Holidays are hell” a collection of four novellas by Kim Harrison, Lynsay Sands, Marjorie M. Liu, and Vicki Pettersson. All four stories were well written and entertaining.
After that it was “Witchling” (The Sisters of the Moon, Book 1) by Yasmine Galenorn. I had read the second book “Changeling” a few months ago and liked it. The first book is the story of Camille the older sister who is a witch (a very sexy curvy one!). Her only problem is that her spells tend to backfire with embarrassing if not dangerous result (once she made all her clothes disappear in a middle of a bookstore instead of becoming invisible!). The third book is supposed to be out (haven’t find it yet!).
Ms. Galenorn did a great job in this series (contrary to her detective series) and I hope she gives up writing mysteries and just continues with fantasy fiction romance.
And then I enjoyed the third book of Kitty Norville series “Kitty takes a holiday” by Carrie Vaughn. After that fiasco in Washington, Kitty takes some time off and goes to a mountain cabin to write her memoirs (and cry in peace!). But someone is throwing sacrificed animals on her porch and her lawyer turns up bitten by a werewolf. The werewolf hunter Cormac is there to help but … yeah, it is not a happily-ever-after for Kitty this time (although she now has a pack!). Loved the book! Can’t wait to start the fourth book!
I have a love-hate relationship with Nutella. I buy a jar and finish it in a couple of days, then I feel so bad that I don’t eat any Nutella for a few months then again…. Anyway I just wanted to tell all Nutella lovers that it taste great with banana! Enjoy!!!

No comments: