Sunday, September 2, 2007

Me, myself and books!

After my Harry Potter marathon, I worked for a couple of days on finishing a report for school. Remember that olive oil thing? Yeah, it’s done and gone (finally)!!! In my break times I finished “Blood Lines” by Eileen Wilks. Book three of a series when super-naturals are out in the open and Gifted people (magical) help FBI fight crimes and werewolves roam in Washington DC!
Then I started “The witch of Portobello” by Paulo Coelho. It is the story of a (real) gifted woman, told by people who knew her. Despite all the talk about greatness of this girl (Athena or Shrine), my take of her character was of some one very self center, showy, and spoiled but with great charisma. Anyway, that’s my opinion; you can read the book and fall for the girl! I’m starting to think Coelho’s glorious days of story telling are behind him. His last couple of books have left a lot to be desired (compare to Alchemist or Brida).
Have I told you how much I love Jasper Fforde’s work? I can say it again, I love his books! I read “First among Sequels” from Thursday Next series with incredible speed and truly enjoyed it. In this book, Thursday is retired from SpecOps and is working in a carpet store. Yeah, don’t believe it, it’s a cover! She still has her Jurisdiction duties in the Book World, monitors Goliath projects, communicates with her genius uncle Mycroft (the fact that he died six years ago is irrelevant!) and tries to move her lazy smelly teenage son from bed and into career world. She also has to deal with one of her daughters constantly absent, two text characters for apprentices, and Time running out and people getting addicted to dumb TV shows (a lot of reality TV)! Hey, she is a kick ass literature detective, she can do it!
Else? Ah, do you remember that three Salem witches? Last book “The Scott, The Witch, and the wardrobe”? Annette Blair has started a new series on triplet sisters of Victoria, Harmony, Destiny, and Storm. The first book “Sex and Psychic witch” is about Harmony. She buys a vintage gown, finds a ring, and sees a ghost and goes to send a century old ghost into light. The finding of a cute guy is just the icing on the cake!
Yeah, yeah, I’ve been really busy. How did you know?!

No comments: