Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“Flirt”, “Hell” and “Boneshaker”

Ahh, I did it again! I had promised myself (and you guys) that I’m not going to read any more of L.K. Hamilton. But there was almost nothing else in the Library New Books and I was desperate! Anyhow I took “Flirt” home and went through it in a couple of hours and I am not happy. Despite not having much going on for it, it was a good little book. Anita had sex with just one stranger and ended up taking him home. It is a record really!
But it could have been a much shorter story. The mystery wasn’t big or thought provoking. Mostly the book was about Flirting!
Do you know how to flirt without being sexual?

Hell” by Robert Olen Butler was truly an award winning piece of literature and therefore a little boring and long. But it had a neat and unique plot. Also the narrative was ingenious; you would feel all the torture and frustration of Hell. A news anchor is dead and hell and trying to find a way out. I loved the cast of characters, Beatrice, Virgil, Bogart, Ann Boleyn, … and a few of US presidents! Just lovely!

Boneshaker” by Cherie Priest was a steam-punk post-apocalyptic epic. In mid 1880’s a new invention goes wary and causes poison gas to start covering Seattle. A wall is build around the polluted areas and the rest of people are living outside. A teenage boy is looking for answers to his family mystery and his mom has to go after him and save his neck. I loved it! The timeline was different, imagining clockworks and machines in 1880’s was a little hard for me but the great plot more than made up for it.

And I will be taking a little trip and not posting for a month or so.
These are a few books that I look forward to coming back to:
“Silver Borne” (Mercy Thompson) by Patricia Briggs
“Succubus Shadows” (Georgina Kincaid, Book 5) by Richelle Mead
“Changes” (Dresden Files, Book 12) by Jim Butcher
"The Desert Spear" by Peter V. Brett
"A Murderous Procession" (Mistress of the Art of Death) by Ariana Franklin
"Dead in the Family" A Sookie Stackhouse Novel by Charlaine Harris
"Spirit Bound" (Vampire Academy, Book 5) by Richelle Mead

No comments: