Sunday, January 24, 2010

A quick update on LK Hamilton’s latest

Long time, no post! Although it doesn’t mean I wasn’t reading. I was super busy with reading 16 of Terry Pratchett books and taking a virtual vacation in Discworld.
I also managed to finish the latest book in Meredith Gentry (Book 8) by Laurell K. Hamilton, the “Divine Misdemeanors”. It was seriously lacking in plot and adventure. I think if it wasn’t for Merry’s lengthy lovemakings and her guards and boyfriends constant arguments the book would have ended up as a short novella. Were these scenes really necessary: Merry sending the Coach to save soldiers, all the arguments with that old sea god, love making and the whole jealousy thing with Brie and the other guy and that screaming and scared female guards incident, the whole Julian character, the Fear-Dreage thing asking for favors and…?
The story included so many unnecessary and extra characters (like that Fear-dreage creature) that you were forced to count words along with the author and breath a sigh of relief when she meeted her quota! If we factor out all the extra scenes and characters and useless arguments, I think we end up with a pretty good short mystery about a bitter and jealous character stealing magic and life out of others.
Also been reading “Death's Mistress” (Dorina Basarab, Book 2) by Karen Chance but gave up on the whole series one quart into the book. I really liked the first book but this one starts very confusing and there are just so many strange things happening, all those time change and elemental fae and trolls in the basement and that monkey baby Dorian is raising and Clair’s coming… Sheesh! Count me out! I am fed up!

Now I know I have to start writing a long post on my Terry Pratchett challenge and a good review of all my Discworld adventures but hey, I am lazy and not in the mood! So taa daa till later!

No comments: