Monday, July 2, 2007

Frustration may consume you!

With a purring kitty cat on my lap, it is hard to concentrate on what I’m gonna write! Anyway, the newest Laurell K. Hamilton’s book “The Harlequin” was entertaining but I couldn’t help thinking Anita Blake is trapped in a whirlpool and is sinking deeper book by book. OK, here is an almost ordinary woman, a federal marshal and she is pushed into unthinkable with lightening speed! She used to feel remorse and have second thoughts when she was dating Richard and Jean-Claude in the same time, what happened to her that now she is dating (!!! her word, not mine!) and loving six or seven men in the same time, in the same bed? Yeah, yeah; people change and all that, she is a succubus and she needs sex as food, blah blah… You know what? It is not making sense for me. I have a feeling our dear author is running out of plots and stories fast and has an obligation to continue the series, so she keeps introducing new lovers in Anita’s life, going from threesome and food fetishes to S&M and bandage and dominant and submissive shit! Three quarter of this “Harlequin” is filled with her lovers quarreling and competing with each other and every male body around wanting to have sex with her! Come on! Oh, and that stupid Ulfric Richard wrecking havoc in the middle of important meetings! I keep reading her books just to follow Anita’s fate but I’m getting tiered of all this jumble of characters and twisted thinking.
Aside from that, “Daddy’s Girl” by Lisa Scottoline wasn’t that bad. Although Nat and her rotten luck had nothing to do with her being a daddy’s girl (which truth to be told she wasn’t). Yeah, being the only girl in the family with none of your brothers paying any attention to you, doesn’t make you a spoiled brat!
Yes, these two books were very disappointing. I’m in a dark mood!!! I need a good book with a good plot, strong characters, wide vocabulary and attractive style. Oh, heck! I’ve been spoiled after those great books about medieval characters! Help! Someone please tell me about a new great book!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Aradia! I can definitely understand where your frustration with the ABVH series is coming from. But I think The Harlequin has set up a departure from the overwhelming effects from the ardeur. She goes back to Jason's hometown with him in the next book. They meet up with some of his old friends/girlfriends of his and I know there's some big mystery they need to solve.

As for all the arguing in The Harlequin? OMG those snark sessions between Richard and Micah are my favorite part of the last couple books- freakin' hilarious! Plus I LOVE how Jean Claude just shut everybody the hell up- he so showed himself as the true Master of the City in this book!