Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Best of the best

I finished “Sizzling Sixteen” (Stephanie Plum, book 16) by Janet Evanovich in a daze. Maybe that is not a good description and “in confusion” is better.
Stephanie’s cousin, Vinnie; has been involved in some shady doing and is kidnapped by a mafia boss. Stephanie, Connie and Lula have to save him if they want to have a job. The way to recover him is full of action and stink bombs!
Now what had me a little bored was Stephanie’s yo-yoing between Morelli and Ranger (again!). Sheesh! Can’t this girl make her mind?! This hazy love-triangle is becoming a little tired if you ask me!

Changes” (Dresden Files, Book 12) by Jim Butcher was a great story if a little sad and frustrating. Harry hears that his daughter is stolen by the vampires of red court. He has to join forces with his ex, Susan; to recover their child. The problem is he is in something way over his abilities, so he starts looking for allies and cashing in all the favors he is owed. When those are still not enough, he has to make deals and accept offers that may endanger his soul and freedom. But he does it all to save his little girl.
Ooh, I don’t know about the ending though. Mr. Butcher did the same thing with the book 11 too, keeping us all on hot coals for a year; waiting for the next book.
So very unfair!

Spirit Bound” (Vampire Academy, Book 5) by Richelle Mead was not in caliber with the other books of the series. I liked this series because of it’s logical and real plots and believable characters. Rose in “Spirit bound” disappointed me. Her reaction and decision were too childish and rash. She is supposed to be an official adult now, being 18 and out of school but it wasn’t shown in the story at all. She was reacting more like a 14 years old! “Should I kill Dimitri?... No, I can’t I love him…he is going to kill me… I kill him..I can’t… ooh, I kill him!” Not so good, Ms. Mead, not so good!
Also I liked this series because it didn’t have those ultra-dramatization of most Young Adult books, as I said most characters were very real and logical. But in this latest book, I can see the beginning of teenage-y drama, sacrifices and un-reasonable loves and … you know; all those mushiness that are the hallmark of YA romances. More is the pity, this series was going good so far!

And the “Best of the Best” for this week goes to “Changes”, of course!

2 comments:

Marg said...

I would like to see some resolution for Stephanie Plum too. How many more books can it possibly be dragged out for?

Aradia said...

I’m hoping twenty is the limit. More than that and I’ll give up on the series! :)