Friday, March 26, 2010

“Babes-on- Brooms” and “Spider Bite”

It is a wonder I got to finish a couple of new books this week being duped up on painkillers, doing a last minute spring cleaning, our Persian New Year celebrations and having friends over. For a little peace and quite, I took refuge in “The Hallows” with Rachel Morgan, rereading all eight books.
My new reads are two cheesy romances and a great discovery.
Blonde With a Wand” and “Chick with a Charm” by Vicki Lewis Thompson are from "Babes-on- Brooms" series. In the first book Anica, a cute blond witch; gets into an argument with her date and turns him into a cat. They have to find a way to reverse the spell and fall in love in the meantime.
In “Chick with a Charm” Lily, Anica’s sister; is giving a cute lawyer a love potion. Then again they have to find a way to cancel the consequences, figure out if they love each other without the potion and find their happily-ever-after.
In terms of story and plot lines these were really simple. The characters are tired and nothing exciting is really happening in the story. I liked the first book better. I liked Jasper’s outlook on life when he becomes a cat, very philosophical! But a few chapters into the second book I was bored. I kept reading only to see how it all ends.


Spider's Bite: An Elemental Assassin Book” by Jennifer Estep was a master piece. Gin is an assassin with a mysterious and tragic past. When a contract goes wrong and her mentor and handler is killed, she looks for a few ally to find the killers and teach a lesson to her double-crossing clients.
The book is an urban fantasy/mystery happening in an alternative world where there are five races: Humans, vampires, Dwarves, Giants and Elementals (magic users). The timeline is our present day.
I love how the story starts: “My name is Gin and I kill people”
I’m waiting for May and the second book of the series to come out.

No comments: