Sunday, February 22, 2009

Books, at last!

I’ve been reading very little this past… um, month (?!)! Although I have discovered a great author and I’m going to tell you about him in a separate post and after I finished all of his books!
Aside from that here is the list:
Found “Bone crossed” by Patricia Briggs a couple of days after release and finished it in five hours! I adore Ms. Briggs Mercy Thompson series. Right after her rape, Mercy is facing hard decision of choosing a mate and entering the pack of werewolves for good. Then her mother shows up and dried corpse of Stefan ends up in her living room. The mistress of vampires is furious and looking for revenge. In the middle of all these, Mercy’s old college friend is contacting her from another city and asks her to help with her ghost problem. Poor Mercy, everything is turning for the worse as she learns of all the hidden agendas everyone is harboring. At least she knows how to multitask!
I loved the book, it was action packed and Mercy appeared very capable and strong but also more human. She accepted help and admitted weakness when she needed help. She has grown and evolved. Somehow that rape incident has made her stronger. I loved the story. What I didn’t like was why the publisher switched to hardcover mid-series! I had to buy a hardcover and I can’t fit it beside the rest of the series on the bookshelf!

Finally finished “Night huntress” by Yasmine Galenorn. It was action packed and fast paced, also kinda rushed. Delilah is not the same spoiled little girl and the darling of her sisters anymore. Chase is taking up with another woman and Delilah calls Zach for back rub, sorry; back up! The fourth seal is found, that awful demon Karvanak is killed and Delilah finds about her strange heritage and still stranger responsibilities. I like the series but at the end I was becoming fed up with all the strangeness crammed into the story!
Deja Demon” (Kate Connor, Demon Hunter) by Julie Kenner is book 4 of the series and I had read books 1 and 2. It is not a series I want to follow further. Kate was a retired demon hunter from Vatican who lost her first husband a follow hunter in an accident, had married a politician and was raising her teenage daughter and toddler son in a peaceful small town until demons started to show up and her old life came crashing back. She is doing her wife duties by throwing parties for her husband campaign, driving her daughter to cheerleading practices and killing the pesty demons, whom are all looking for something or someone in her family; on the sly until apparently in book 3, when she brings her dead husband back in the body of a high school teacher.
OK, honestly this is getting too weird for me and I read the fourth book more like daydreams of a very bored middle aged housewife (or soccer mom, may the case be!).
Cat playing cupid” by Shirley Rousseau Murphy was the nth book of Joe Grey Mysteries. This series about the talking cats in a small village and how one of the cats is playing detective and helping local police department. Way way boring! I read only for my love of cats!
Then two books by Christopher Moore:
Coyote Blue” is the story of a former Indian (yeah, former!) and how he learns to get back to his roots and finally becomes the local shaman.
The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove” is about a small town (very much like Carmel!) and how a weed addict local policeman, an obsessed biologist, local bar owner, town shrink and town’s crazy lady join forces and solve town’s most important problems including finding and dispatching a drug ring, solving a murder, feeding and saving a five thousand years old dinosaur and curing the residences’ severe depression.
I love Moore’s satirical writing style. He looks at life with such a funny and light hearted humor that you forget you are being made fun of because of your mindless habits! Love it!
And then finally four books by Gregory Maguire who has become my favorite of the month which I’m going to write a separate post about! Keep tuned!

No comments: