Thursday, January 15, 2009

More romance, less work!

I have been reading a little romance but also had two books half finished. I got to finish the “Sister Pelagia and the white bulldog” by Boris Akunin and really enjoyed it. His funny old fashion type of story telling narrative in Sister Pelagia series has me quite impatient for the third book of the series whenever it will be out (Aug 11th, apparently).
Else? Yeah, the romances! I said good romance books are hard to find and here is the proof:
Just like heaven” by Barbara Bretton was very bland. A priest (not catholic, thank heaven!) and a workaholic business woman meet under unusual circumstances and fall for each other. The book had a great start but 1/3 into the story and I started feeling bored. (Grade: 3/10)
Just desserts” also by Barbara Bretton was much better and I can grade it 5/10. Nothing special though, good people are good and helpful and the bad one is bad from the start. An ageing rock star is looking for her lost daughter (which is a divorced mother of a teenager) with the help of his gorgeous lawyer.
A wedding in Paris” by Barbara Bretton, Marie Ferrarella and Cindi Myers. Out of three novellas you would expect a good one, right?! Non! Well the third one “Picture Perfect” was better than others in my opinion.
But the last two novels by my currently favorite romance writer were great. “Stealing the Bride” by Elizabeth Boyle was the third book of Danvers family series. This is the story of Lord Templeton (Temple to his friends) and Lady Diana and how for 11 years they play cat and mouse until Temple finally accepts his heart and is persuaded to marry Diana. Good story, a little long maybe but Ms. Boyle wrapped it quite well. Also Temple is not as interesting as her other heroes in my opinion. I like Mad Jake better, ooh and Sedgwick and that duke Felicity was in love with… they were much more interesting than Temple. He is kind of cowardly if you ask me!
His mistress by Morning” also by Elizabeth Boyle was great. This is the story of first Marlowe son, Sebastian Viscount Trent and Charlotte (a wallflower) and Milton’s ring! Read it, it is great!

Am also reading “Spooky Plum” by Janet Evanovich and loving it. Her humor is simplistic and great for times when you just want to relax and don’t think and kinda go with the flow!

2 comments:

Bev(QB) said...

You're doing a whole lot better than I am. I haven't read a book for WEEKS! I just hate starting one when I know I won't have time to finish, and oddly enough I've been watching movies and TV shows-- something I rarely do.

Aradia said...

Dear Bev,
Don’t feel bad! Don’t tell any one: The truth is I’m not doing anything except reading! LOL. I don’t have any classes this term, just research (have not started it yet!); so I’ve stayed home this week and read and read and… ;)