Wednesday, June 18, 2008

In a fine summer afternoon

I have been reading nonstop this week. Oh, yes, I had a paper to finish and send to my professor and I was worrying about it. I wish I could learn to work harder instead of worrying … Anyway I took half day out of my precious readings and finished the darn thing. Then, what I read this week:
Two more books of Jim Butcher 's “Dresden Files”: “Storm Front” and “Small Favor”. My favorites this week! I’m so falling in love with Harry Dresden! Am thinking about buying the whole series!
Queen of Dragons” by Shana Abe is the third book of Drakon series. Haven’t read the other books and this one was entertaining but not exceptional. I very much liked the character of Maricia but Kim’s character was lame. Contrary to what author wanted us to believe, he came out very weak minded and not a good leader.
Friday’s Child” by Georgette Heyer was badly written. As I said about another book of her, Ms. Heyer writes like an eighteenth century author and a bad one in that! But the plot and cast of characters were great. Hero (Kitten) was crazy and delightful. Anthony was a model of 18-19 century noble Englishman, simple, honest, brave and honorable. Freddy was a fun coward and George was very Lord Byron (passionate, romantic, handsome). Miss Milborne reminded me of Miss Blanche in “Jane Eyre” and Gil… Oh, I wish he was real and I could travel back in time and meet him! Well, I also wish this story was written by a master of dialogues. It could have been so much better, but is a delight even now.
The Last Twilight” (Dirk & Steele, Book 7) by Marjorie M. Liu: well, I can not say I didn’t like it, but… hmmmm, it could have been better. I have a problem with damaged scared heroes, so sue me! Anyway Amiri finds his love in a tortured and hunted doctor Rikki, Rictor makes an appearance and a new type of shapeshifter is introduced. I’m liking this series less and less, don’t know why!!!
Legally Blonde” by Amanda Brown. OK, don’t laugh now! I loved the first movie. Elle Woods was fun and when I saw the book, I grabbed it. Actually I like the book much more and am planning to read the whole series. What? It is fun and lighthearted, kindda like chocolate mousse!
Secrets of a Proper Lady” by Victoria Alexander is the third book of “The Last Man Standing” series. I loved it! The dialogues where great, all those oral sword plays between Daniel Sinclair and Lady Cordelia. Well it had a funny plot too, but I couldn’t feel a little cheated at the end. The finale let me down! I guess you can’t have everything, right?! So now, the last man is Oliver and the question remains: Is he going to have his book or not?
Then “The Accidental Mother” by Rowan Coleman which was a disappointment. Old plot, a friend dies and leaves the custody of her two small girls to her single career-oriented best friend. The father is missing. The career girl has lots of challenges, finds the father, make peace between father and girls and falls in love with the man! It was awful! Should she really leave everything and go to her dead best friend’s husband? Doesn’t it remind you of that little problem some women have? The problem of falling for their friends’ boyfriends and husbands and fiancés? The one which has its roots in jealousy? Yeah, that one! How convenient it was in this story! It just makes me mad! Ms. Coleman could have Sophie happily married to Jake but nooo!!! She should go for Louis, how totally stupid! The only lovely character was Artemis the cat, let me tell you!


I need some good books! Help!

No comments: